My Early 2016 Race Calendar

Matt and I head to Colombia (!!) next week, so I’m in no way trying to rush us out of 2015. In fact, if that whole last week in December could move at a snail’s place so I can slowly (and safely!) get tan, I’d be much obliged. So without rushing 2015 away, now seems as good a time as any to share my early 2016 race plans with you.

What are you running in 2016?

Here’s what I’m signed up for so far:

January 9: Joe Kleinerman 10K

This distance used to intimidate me. I’ve looked at this race for a few years and thought “I can’t run that far in the winter, I won’t be in good enough shape.” But this time around, I’m excited to start the year off running. It’s also been unseasonably warm, so despite the fact that our planet is dying, we have that going for us.

cold weather running

cold weather running crew

February 7: NYRR Gridiron 4M

A little Superbowl Sunday action. This four mile race in Central Park is a blast since everyone is in Game Day spirit.  A lot of participants wear football jerseys. But since those boxy numbered nylons don’t flatter my figure, I will be on Team Lululemon. At mile 2, runners can make their prediction for the Big Game’s winner by running under the banner with that team’s name on it. The race directors tally it up and declare an early SuperBowl champion. I personally just pick which ever team scored the inside of the curve to avoid running extra feet. #1 Sports Fan! (Ask me all your burning Fantasy Football questions, I taught Matt everything he knows.)

February 21: Central Park Half Marathon

I am so excited for this race. It’s going to be cold, hilly and hard since it’s in Central Park in February but I’ve wanted to get another half marathon under my belt and I’m looking forward to training for this one. Please recommend cold weather running gear in the comments!

central park half marathon

from the More/Fitness Women’s Half Marathon in Central Park (not the race I’ll be running in February). If the weather is anything like this in February, I’ll be stoked.

April 3: Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Miler

I’ve entered the lottery for this DC race many times, and this is the first time I got in! Matt ran it last year and had a blast so I can’t wait to join in the fun in 2016. I lived in DC for five years and it’s where I first got into running, which makes this race extra special.

from last year's Cherry Blossom 10 miler

from last year’s Cherry Blossom 10 miler

That’s what’s on tap so far. My March travel plans are a bit up in the air so I haven’t committed to any races in March.

What are you running this winter? Any great races I should add to my radar?

PS. Scared of winter running? Don’t be. Tips for cold weather running here!

9 Comments

1. December 15, 2015 / 3:28 pm

I like wearing beanies from Headsweats, or if it’s too warm for a hat, but still windy, I’ll wear earbags from Sprigs to keep my ears warm.

• December 15, 2015 / 3:31 pm

Thanks; I’ve never heard of earbags before!

2. December 16, 2015 / 12:00 pm

You can run in anything with the right clothes! Trust me, I ran in -20 one crazy day in Boston and was totally fine. Layers, layers, layers. Get a pair of fleece-lined tights (Nike & North Face have some) and I’ll wear two pairs sometimes. Up top I go tight cold gear base layer (best is Under Armour’s I think), then quarter zip, then either wind breaker (I have one from New Balance and Brooks makes a good reflective one too), and if it’s – anything, the best investment I’ve made is one of the down jackets from lululemon. Not cheap but that thing saves me every winter and I’ve had it for years. I also go a couple layers of gloves and wear North Face’s ski gloves (I have circulation problems…most people don’t need that much on their hands) and also remember good old fashioned hand & feet warmers! Hope that helps 🙂

• December 16, 2015 / 12:03 pm

VERY helpful. The one item I’m really missing is something to block the wind. I’ll check out the NB and Brooks ones! Good to know those down Lulu jackets are worth it, I always consider purchasing one.

3. December 16, 2015 / 12:32 pm

Awesome race lineup! Congrats on Cherry Blossom! That is going to be gorgeous. I highly suggest TJ Maxx or Marshalls for some inexpensive fleece-lined pants and tops. I also wear a Buff over my face if it’s windy or under 20 degrees to help with the cold. Good luck with the winter races!

4. jcon
    December 16, 2015 / 1:45 pm

Wooo, I’m excited you’ll be in town for Cherry Blossom! So far that’s the only race on my 2016 calendar. The rest depends on a piece of news I’m waiting on … consider that a teaser for a big reveal later. (I hope!)

• December 16, 2015 / 1:45 pm

WHAT I am on the edge of my seat!!!!
      Excited you are running Cherry Blossom, too. Can’t wait to see you there!

5. January 14, 2016 / 5:09 pm

April 30, Derby Festival Marathon, so excited for it, first marathon ever 🙂

• January 14, 2016 / 5:23 pm

amazing!! good luck and happy training!