Every time I worked out last week (10/18-10-24)

Oh, hello there.  Happy Fall, people.  My shin/ankle/calf situation acted up this week, so I modified a bit. I love having a workout schedule but I love having a pain-free ankle more, so I’m being flexible.

Before I get into the weekly rundown, I wanted to share an awesome, usable nutrition blog I’ve been reading. It’s called Meals for Miles. Kelly is a registered dietitian (MS, RD) and shares healthy, NYC-based food information and I’m looking forward to taking her advice.  Unlike other food-focused blogs, not every post requires I have a food processor (or the energy/interest in cleaning a food processor). She’s a runner and her posts are interesting and accessible.

Week in review:

Sunday: I didn’t work out!

Monday: I went to a mixed level Physique 57 with my friend Yael

Tuesday: Ran 4 miles in Central Park

Wednesday:  Attended the NTC x modelFIT collab at the Elevated Acre

Thursday:  I was meant to go to running school but my shin was bothering me (again) and so I decided to skip it. I ended up doing a 6-min Ballet Beautiful ab video just to do something. It was so hard. Mary Helen Bowers is a maniac.

Friday: 3 mile run. My shin was still bothering me so I took it slow

Saturday: 5 mile run in Vermont. (I was in Jamaica, Vermont for a wedding.) This was my longest run in 14 months. When I set out to run it was 30 degrees.  COLD. The hills were tough, but overall I felt okay.

Afterward I went on a short, beautiful hike on the Long Trail. with Matt’s family.

What did you do last week? Share it in the comments!

15 Comments

1. 6minplank
    October 27, 2015 / 10:55 am

Great week Nicole! I love that your workout routine is not a routine at all because you are always mixing up your activities and things fresh. This week I am traveling so I am giving you my typical week when I am at home.
    Monday: 1/2 hour of kickboxing followed by 1/2 hour of lifting ( I see a personal trainer for the kickboxing and lifting). 2 hours of Jujitsu later that day (I go to a gym in Denver called Easton…it’s awesome. http://eastonbjj.com/
    Tuesday: 45 mins of kickboxing/cardio followed by 2 hours of jujitsu
    Wednesday: 1/2 hour of kickboxing
    Thursday: 45 mins of kickboxing/cardio followed by 2 hours of jujitsu
    Friday: 1/2 hour of kickboxing followed by 1/2 hour of lifting.
    Saturday: 1 hour of kickboxing followed by a short run later that day
    Sunday: 1 hour of running stairs/push ups/sit ups at Red Rocks (this is by far my most ass-kicking workout of the week. If you are ever in Denver, I highly suggest heading to Red Rocks for a morning of torture). followed by 1 hour of tennis later that day.

• October 27, 2015 / 10:59 am

Dana! That is INCREDIBLE!! Many days a week you work out for nearly 3 hours? That’s a really strong showing. Do you ever just not want to work out? If so how do you handle? Do you make yourself go? Cut yourself some slack? What’s your mental game? xo

• October 27, 2015 / 11:22 am

To be fair, the jujitsu is not very much cardio, it is actually pretty low intensity for me as far as physical activity goes, at least at the level I am at…It is more about showing up and learning. I think it is very important that you enjoy your physical activities and that really helps me stay motivated…I absolutely fell in love with kickboxing…I say find what get’s you excited and do it! There are certainly times when I don’t feel like working out but unless it is a physical impairment, I make myself go on those days and I never regret it afterwards. I also think you need to learn how to set yourself up for success and what works for you is not what works for everyone else. For example, I do very well when I am committed to being somewhere but it is often harder for me to self motivate and workout by myself so knowing that, I commit by signing up for classes in advance. Jujitsu is very much community oriented and if I don’t show up for class, I would get texts from my professor and others in my class asking my why. I also know how much my day/my mood/ my overall well being is affected by being active and I am not wiling to give into the “I don’t feel like it” tune knowing that the benefit of being active is far too great for me. My biggest struggle is eating enough throughout the day!

2. October 27, 2015 / 6:29 pm

Hi Nicole! Thank you so much for your kind words 🙂 Very jealous of your gorgeous hiking!

• October 27, 2015 / 7:17 pm

So nice to hear from you. Am thrilled to have found your blog!

3. jmc
    October 27, 2015 / 6:47 pm

Sorry your limbs aren’t fully cooperating, Nicole! Glad to see you’re staying active, though, and I sure this is a momentary setback. (P.S. In case it’s not obvious, I’m a huge fan of your blog.)

And Dana: Whoa. Srsly impressive. I do NOT have a problem eating enough….

Here’s mine! (+ walks and twice daily stretching sessions most days.)

10/18: Set a 10k PR (46:13)
    10/19: ~ 25 minutes of strength work at gym (legs & abs)
    10/20: Ran 13.3 miles, my longest distance ever!
    10/21: ~ 25 minutes of yoga
    10/22: ~ 45 minutes of strength work (upper & abs)
    10/23: Ran 8.8 miles
    10/24: ~ 30 minutes of plyometric drills & abs

• October 27, 2015 / 7:26 pm

That amazing!! A PR and your longest distance ever in one week? That’s incredible. Are you training for something?

• October 28, 2015 / 2:54 pm

PS Juanita, it sounds like you are totally uninjured these days!! LOVE IT. What’s your next race?? Maybe we will both do Cherry Blossom 10-miler this year.

• October 27, 2015 / 8:46 pm

hi JMC! sounds like a great week.. but who are you?? 🙂

• October 28, 2015 / 2:56 pm

JMC = my past coworker/current running inspiration Juanita!!!

4. jmc
    November 4, 2015 / 5:05 am

Ha, thanks!

I’m training for the Annapolis Half, which is coming up in a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed for a fast (for me) injury-free run. Would love to do Cherry Blossom with you next year!

And yes, I AM totally uninjured these days. I’ve made some pretty significant, intentional changes to minimize risk: Keeping a training log, focusing most of my cross-training on “pre-hab”, not running two days in a row, and having a mileage plan for each run and each week that I do my best to stick to … even when there’s peer pressure to go longer or go more often. Staying healthy enough to run is definitely more work than the running itself!

• November 4, 2015 / 7:35 am

That sounds incredibly smart. I am going to need to do something like that. Good luck in Annapolis!!!

• jmc
        November 7, 2015 / 10:58 am

Thanks!

• November 7, 2015 / 2:33 pm

also which garmin do you have? have we ever discussed? i just bought my first one ever – the 225 – i have no idea how to use it

• JMC
            November 11, 2015 / 7:25 am

I have a Garmin Forerunner 10. Super basic, pretty easy to use, and small enough that I don’t feel like I have a tank on my wrist.