On January 1, I started the 30 Day Ab Challenge. A few friends shared the plan with me, and it seemed (and is) pretty straightforward. Each day (save for a few designated rest days) there is an assigned number of sit ups, crunches and leg raises and a timed plank. Throughout the 30 days, the amount listed increases.
- I enjoyed having a ritual, a must-do activity. I even missed it a bit on the rest days.
- It really helped that Matt was doing it too. As the amounts grew (to 200 crunches and 2 minute long planks) it helped my accountability to have another person sweating by my side.
- Sit ups are silly. I meet my saturation point pretty early. After that, I am dubious about added value over back strain.
- I can see a difference in my abs. I think, at least.
- I can now hold a TWO MINUTE PLANK. This is reason enough for me to have done this challenge. I feel strong. Like an athlete. I am proud of this.