Should I quit the gym again?

I’m sure there was a time before FlyWheel and  Physique57 that I showed up at my local gym, entertained myself with a self-guided workout and left feeling like I accomplished something.

Maybe my expectations have gone up. I used to be satisfied with a 30- minute elliptical workout. Today I am not. I don’t hate that machine, but I have an evolving preference toward weights.

[DC Readers: I used to crush the arc trainer/elliptical scene at the Vida on 14th Street.]

But that time is long gone.

post flywheel

the author, post-flywheel. I’m available for hair modeling gigs if you’re reading this, frederic fekkai

Recently my trips to the gym are feeling aimless and as such, short. I come. I futz. I leave.

Over a year ago I quit Equinox because I wasn’t going enough to defend it’s price tag. But I did love their classes, even if they were super crowded.  Taking classes left me feeling like I had a hearty, efficient workout.

I lived gym-free for about 6 months, nursing an injury and experimenting with ClassPass.

Then I joined NYSC last December and it’s just kind of… meh. There is something empowering to me about having access to a gym. So that’s good. I feel in control of my own fitness since knowing I can hop on a treadmill in the winter or if it’s raining.

But….there isn’t a ton of equipment at NYSCs near me, so I often have to wait for the machine I want (usually the stair climber).

The mat area is crowded and decidedly gross. (And i’m not a tough judge of cleanliness.) It’s hard to find dumbbells of matching weights, so I’m often using lighter or heavier weights than I want, because that’s what’s available. But the price is right. I pay $59/month.

hike with dog

the author exercising with her best friend in her best friend’s presumed natural habitat

Two bloggers I love Julie (Peanut Butter Fingers) and Tina (Carrots ’N Cake) always post awesome workout plans you can do yourself, but most NYSC locations are far too crowded to set up for something like that, if I could even find matching weights.

Excuses aside: I’m having trouble motivating when I’m not taking a class. And I’m thinking of quitting the gym. Again.

Now that December and the inevitable cold are just around the corner, I’ll be less likely to do a bike loop of the park, but I still plan to run. Either way, #winteriscoming and I want to sort out a plan to have access to an indoor workout.

The way I view it, I have three options.

Option 1:  Try ClassPass (again). I tried it once before, and had a hard time finding classes I wanted at times I could take them. But I think the service has evolved since then.  Another perk, Crunch is on ClassPass and you can sign up for regular gym time, which I could do if I was ever jonesing for a treadmill.

Option 2: Check out/join Equinox again. Yes this is a hefty investment, but I like their classes and their facilities are larger and nicer. Also, I don’t live near any other gym.  If I went this route I could not justify purchasing Flywheel, Physique or any other classes and also living.

Option 3: Studio hop. By this I mean purchase bulks passes to different studios, hunt Gilt City for deals and be a floater.  This is basically what I’m doing now but I’m also paying for NYSC. It’s not cheap.

slt flywheel fhitting room

a non-denominational house of prayer

Am I missing an option? Any advice? What should I do! What do YOU do? My NYSC membership is up at the end of the year, so I’m looking for a new option effective January 1.

Please leave your two cents in the comments!

15 Comments

1. November 12, 2015 / 9:39 am

I take A LOT of the Refine exercises and make my own workouts at the gym. I jot them down and bring a post it to the gym with me! Usually it is short, like 20 min. I will do 3x (3 exercises), some sort of cardio burst and then a different set of 3x(3 exercises). I use kettle bells mostly. If I have neought time, I will also do 2-3 miles outside before or after the workout.

Not quite like taking a class but it helps!

• November 12, 2015 / 9:41 am

i like that idea, but I can’t seem to make it work in practice.

2. Jen
    November 12, 2015 / 10:09 am

I think you can’t put a price on fitness! If you like Equinox and will go, YOU DESERVE IT!

• November 12, 2015 / 8:58 pm

3. giannanicole22
    November 12, 2015 / 10:30 am

I loved classpass but then kept having to eat cancellation fees bc work would interfere and i couldn’t leave on time. Or I would wait to make sure and not be able to get into a class. My sister also is a flybarre instructor soooo I get to take barre and wheel for free (although I honestly do not do it enough these days!)

If it is a motivation and getting more out of your workout and needing that group atmosphere – I would go the classpass route. I think there is a new one that is similar called fit reserve? but if classpass is unlimited I still think that wins. You can go to crunch and I think 24 hour fitness for just gym time and chelsea piers. and the best way to take advantage is to do a class and then hop on the treadmill. no one will care 🙂

• November 12, 2015 / 8:57 pm

that’s really good advice. i’m leaning that way!

4. October 25, 2017 / 10:10 pm

I discovered your blog via a NYCRuns post and have slowly been making my way through it. Was happy to see this one in the “you may also like” of one of your other posts as I recently went through this when my long time sweetheart deal at Sheraton NY ended. I knew I wouldn’t find $99/year again but wanted to keep running through winter so I bit the bullet and went through two days of gym “shopping”

I don’t do classes so the cost of Equinox/NYSC never worked out in my favor. I ultimately settled on Blink as I needed something more than PLanet Fitness and I”m happy.

Good luck with your taper.

• Nicole
      October 26, 2017 / 10:14 am

Thank you so much for your note! I’ve heard good things about Blink. I actually think it’s owned by Equinox!

• November 3, 2017 / 10:53 am

Ooh, how cool. Didn’t know that.
        I swear it’s worth it for the foam rollers alone 🙂
        Good luck this weekend.

• Nicole
          November 3, 2017 / 10:54 am

thank you so much!!

• November 15, 2017 / 3:24 pm

by the way, you and a friend who does it have me totally hooked on Mile High Run Club. Thank you — my wallet might not agree though 😀

• Nicole
            November 15, 2017 / 3:26 pm

YES! What’s your fav class/instructor? (Im a big Dirty 30 fan)

• November 15, 2017 / 3:29 pm

Oh good to know. I’ve only done Dash Core and High 45. Think I prefer the latter. Will look to see when the next Dirty 30 is that fits my schedule.
            I like Rich V and Corinne.

• Nicole
            November 15, 2017 / 3:26 pm

And i love Ryan

5. November 15, 2017 / 11:42 pm

(Same as me above — having issues for whatever reason with login.)
    Bizarrely, I had Ryan tonight. Wasn’t intending to go when I commented earlier as I didn’t want to linger at work until an 8:30 but my desk ate me and I was there anyway, so I went. Can see why you love him. Loved his stretches at the end – slight edge to Rich V playlist wise though although Pink Floyd during final level 4 was perfect.